Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Reflecting on Action Research


Thoughts about action research

I have really enjoyed all of the action research projects that I have completed as part of this program. The projects have actually helped me and my colleagues to enact significant changes in our department and have informed my teaching practice in surprising ways. I think that action research is really a more intentional and systematic version of what many teachers consider best practice: critically examining their classrooms, reflecting on the teaching and learning taking place, and making changes that result in better learning outcomes. I love that action research is collaborative and cyclical. It forces me to continually consult with other teachers that have talents and strengths different from my own. Although I wish that I could just "arrive" as a seasoned, autonomous, all-knowing professional one day, I think action research helps to remind me that I should always stay humble enough to learn from others and keep growing.


Ideas generated


The focus of my action research study was to examine the impact of collaboration between English Second Language teachers and high school general education teachers on ELL student attitudes and achievement in the general education classroom. I met with English language learners, general education teachers and the ESL professional in my building to discuss accommodations for ELLs in the general education classroom and found that both ELLs and their teachers perceived a need for additional training in modifications for students with limited English proficiency. I think that, as an ESL teacher in the future, I will need to carefully consider how to create professional development and collaboration opportunities for the general education teachers at my school. I would like to continue to research this topic and look for models of best practice in my professional learning community.



Suggestions to other ESL professionals


Based on the action research that I conducted I would definitely suggest that all ESL professionals consider implementing common planning time, online collaboration or other professional collaboration opportunities in their building to work with the general education teachers who teach their ELLs. General education teachers can certainly benefit when educated about second language acquisition and sheltered content instruction. Although I realize that collaboration is difficult on a school-wide level, I think any efforts made will undoubtedly positively impact learning outcomes for ELLs.

No comments:

Post a Comment