Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blog Post #5: Issues in Education



While reflecting upon the many articles dealing with educational issues, I am reminded, once again, of the immense complexity of the teaching profession and the many stakeholders in the education of our nation's children. Teachers, administration, politicians, parents, community members, and, most importantly, students are inherently part of the institution that is public education. I think that is why, as many proponents of the privatization of education would suggest, it can be so VERY difficult to affect change in our public education system. Many of the articles that I read brought to mind changes that I, personally, would love to see take effect in educational institutions.

The NCPA article on teacher salaries adjusted based on the cost of living related to two very frustrating, and often controversial, issues in public education. The first is the importance of raising teacher salaries to match those of other college educated professionals. Our nation can't expect to recruit the best and brightest graduates into the teaching profession if they know they will not be payed a competitive wage. I think that our society has lost respect for the teaching profession, perhaps with good reason. However, this lack of respect is most apparent in teacher compensation, and, without substantial change, education will continue to find it difficult to recruit highly qualified teachers into the profession. Another issue that this article brought to mind is the polemic merit-based pay debate. I, myself, am an advocate of a reasonable merit-pay system. My stance is probably partly attributable to my relative inexperience in the teaching profession and the fact that I have a rather competitive nature. I can certainly, however, understand the drawbacks to a merit-pay system if the assessment of merit is based solely on standardized testing. I understand teacher fears over the outcome of evaluations that determine salaries. However, that is a reality that other adults, working in the private sector, face everyday. It is hard to sustain motivation to teach to the best of your ability when you know that the teacher with the Master's degree and twenty years experience showing videos each day next door if being paid more. I know their has to be a better way to determine teacher pay.

Perhaps equally as controversial as the debate on teacher salary is the debate over school choice in public education. The Goodman article on educating the children who were victims of Hurricane Katrina reminded me of the importance of this issue. Although I teach at a traditional public high school, I recognize the impact that choice could and should have in school reform. However, I feel that we should exercise caution before proclaiming any approach to be THE solution for public education reform. Many studies reveal that both vouchers and charter schools fail to produce the outcomes promised and may even hinder reform.

The articles mentioned, as well as the articles addressing child labor, early childhood education and education's environmental responsibility, serve to highlight the need for educators and policy makers that are willing to think critically about the issues, put politics and buzzwords aside, and stand for all that is in a students' best interest. Although their are not simple solutions, I believe that the best way to move forward is through the intentional pursuit of learning above all from the classroom, to the school board, all the way to Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment